FOUNDERS AND FIRST PRESIDENTS, 1939 -1965
DOROTHY VENA JOHNSON, CO-FOUNDER*
JUANITA MILLER, CO-FOUNDER*
- 1965 – 1969 Antoinette Atkinson
- 1969 – 1973 Aurora Hoskins
- 1973 – 1977 Thelma Houston
- 1977 – 1981 Kathryn “Penny” Carr
- 1985 – 1989 Joy Atkinson
- 1989 – 1993 Thomasina Ayers Pleasant
- 1993 – 1997 Sandy Hoskins Wilkins
- 1997 -2001 Dorothy M. Thornhill
- 2001 – 2005 Elodie George*
- 2005 – 2009 Carol Hall Holliday
- 2009 – 2011 Deborah Beavers-Watford
- 2011 – 2012 Mary Ann Green
- 2012 – 2013 Susan Anderson
- 2013-2015 Joan A. Thomas
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENTS
Building on the legacy of our founders, The League of Allied Arts is the preeminent organization in the Los Angeles area that fosters the flourishing of African American Arts and Culture and advances the talents of emerging artists.
The Mission of the women of the League of Allied Arts is to dedicate their efforts to:
- Studying and promoting the development of all creative art forms.
- Nurturing and patronizing the development of aspiring, emerging and established artists.
- Providing opportunities to extend the appreciation of arts to the membership, the African American and community at large.
- Establishing relationships with other community organizations, corporations, businesses and foundations for developing partnerships and resources of mutual benefit that enhance and help achieve the League’s objectives.
- Advancing inter-cultural fellowships through the medium of the arts.